Sorority Life… What’s it Really Like?

Last updated October 29, 2019

Hey Y’all its Tatum!

Sororities….. prior to Furman, I would have never joined a sorority. I thought I had to be a cheerleader, like pink, and smile all the time. No one in my family was involved in Greek Life and it was not something I was looking for in a college. I played soccer in high school, always got along better with guys and struggled with girl friendships in high school. In my opinion I could never be a sorority girl.

Once I got to Furman, I felt like I had a fresh start! It became my home right away. I met people who were like me and found upperclassmen women that I wanted to be like. I was confused however because all of these women were involved in Greek Life. Greek Life had such a negative connotation in my mind it took me a few months to decide to rush a sorority. I was so grateful for Furman’s delayed recruitment process so I had time to get over the stereotypes I had created and allow myself to do something outside of my comfort zone. I realized that a sorority is so much more than the surface level.

I am here to debunk some stereotypes about sorority life and tell you about my experience with sororities at Furman. I am a part of Alpha Delta Pi here at Furman and my sorority was the first college organization for women founded in 1851. Through my sorority experience I learned about how to be a leader, what philanthropy really means, and the concept of sisterhood. Sisterhood was a foreign concept for me because although I have had a sister my whole life I as not used to having my friends become my family. My sorority at Furman, as well as the Panhellenic Community as a whole has become that second family for me.

Overall I write this to say that college has a lot of great opportunities, and some of them may challenge what you thought you knew. I challenge anyone looking at colleges to join at least one organization that pushes them to grow, and see what wonders a year will do!