Our Blog

Making a Difference: EDU 506 and Elizabeth Palmer ‘21

Last updated August 11, 2021

By Camiell Foulger

Are you looking for an experience that will allow you to earn course credit while making a difference in the Greenville area?

Education Professor Lorraine DeJong’s Human Service Non-Profit Internship course (EDU 506) has been designed to allow Furman students to do both, all while earning valuable job experience and making meaningful connections in the community.

The course, which is open to all majors, gives Furman students the opportunity to spend 10 hours each week as part of a semester-long, community-centered learning internship in a local human services non-profit agency in Greenville. Possible placements may include: A Child’s Haven, Pendleton Place, Little Steps, First Steps, Safe Harbor, and Make-A-Wish.

Students will study competencies for leadership, including program planning and evaluation, budget and finance, human resources, fund development, marketing, and volunteer management.  Students attend weekly seminars for reflection and present at Furman Engaged!

Elizabeth Palmer '21

Elizabeth Palmer ’21

“I was so excited for the opportunity to learn more about nonprofits and how they work from every angle,” said Elizabeth Palmer ’21, who worked as a special events and program intern at Make-A-Wish South Carolina as part of the course.

“Through cold calls and stewardship actions, I found that I loved speaking with people, especially about the mission of Make-A-Wish and how they could make an impact,” said Palmer, who was named Make-A-Wish South Carolina Woman of the Year this year for her fund-raising efforts.

Palmer went on to have two more internships with Make-A-Wish while at Furman and will be starting as a full-time wish coordinator with Make-A-Wish South Carolina on August 23.

“As a wish coordinator, I will be assisting Wish kids in choosing their wish, and then planning the logistics of their wish so that it is as special as it can be for them,” said Palmer. “I am thrilled to take this next step in my career and will always remember my initial experience that got me here!”

EDU 506 will be offered next in Spring 2022. For more information, contact Lorraine DeJong at (864) 293-3383 or lorraine.dejong@furman.edu.