Have your plans changed?

If your plans have changed or our records are incorrect, please call the Housing and Residence Life Office immediately (864) 294-2092 so that our records and your financial account can be updated.

How much does campus housing cost?

Click here for 2015-16 rates.

Back to top
Living away from home for nine months is likely to be an adventure for you. Unlike being away for a few weeks, it means you should make sure you have everything you need for all sorts of events and weather. However, although the rooms are adequate, please remember that there is not a lot a storage space for unnecessary items. Please see the Housing and Residence Life Specific Needs page for an overview of items that would be useful to bring. 

Back to top

What items are prohibited in campus housing?

Housing & Residence Life does not allow students to have the following items in housing:
  • halogen lamps
  • open-element electrical appliances
  • candles or incense
  • extension cords
  • unauthorized lofts
  • grills (not allowed outside either)
  • pets, other than fish
  • additional refrigerators or microwaves (except in North Village)
  • non-solid concrete blocks
  • weapons (see The Helmsman)


When can I move into campus housing?

All campus housing facilities will open to returning students on Sunday, August 23, 2015 to help accommodate students and parents who must travel long distances. You must adhere to one of the three check-in times listed below:

Sunday, August 23
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Monday, August 24
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Please note from the academic calendar that the first meal provided through student meal plans will be dinner on Sunday, August 23.
Also important to note from the academic calendar is that campus housing officially closes during the year on December 17, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. At the end of the year, students, except those participating in some way with commencement, are expected to vacate campus housing within 24 hours after their last exam or by Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. Those graduating seniors who will remain for commencement must vacate by 1:00 p.m. Sunday, May 10, 2015. Please keep these dates in mind as you make your travel arrangements.


Where do I check in?

Residents of Lakeside Housing will check in at the RA office located in Judson Hall. Residents of South Housing will check in at the RA office located in Poteat Hall. Residents of North Village and Greenbelt housing will check in at the North Village J Community Center (100 level).

Can I check in early?

Only groups or individuals whose functions are institutionally requested and operationally necessary to require moving in early and whose leaders make prior arrangements are allowed to move in prior to the published move-in dates. Students and parents are respectfully asked to refrain from calling about arriving early.

Can I bring or ship my belongings to campus early?

Due to the summer use of our residence halls, our staff are busy up to just before your arrival getting your room and buildings ready; therefore, putting items in your room prior to your check-in to campus housing is not possible.

Because storage space for advance shipments is limited on campus, you are encouraged to bring with you as many of your needed belongings as possible when you arrive on campus. If you must ship something in advance, packages should be shipped to arrive not more than one to two weeks prior to the student's arrival on campus. Please address them to the student's name, c/o Facilties Services, Furman University, 3300 Poinsett Highway, Greenville, SC 29613. All items shipped in advance will be stored at Facilities Services and it will be your responsibility to pick them up when you arrive. Please keep in mind that packages may be stored in a warehouse space that is not climate controlld.

Back to top

What if I am a part of any early arrival group, but still on the waiting list for a room assignment?

The Assignments Coordinator has lists of all students who are a part of early arrival groups and will give special attention to those on the waiting list who must arrive early.  All waiting list students will have an assignment prior to their arrival.

Back to top

Is there cable TV on campus?

All residents on campus have access to cable television channels which includes basic cable plus a variety of other channels (see Channel Lineup).  Any problems with cable TV should be directed to the ITS Help Desk.

Back to top

Is there Internet access in every room/apartment?

Each residence hall room/apartment has wireless internet as well as a wall connection for each resident to the University network which allows properly equipped personal computers to be attached. Computer labs are available in each classroom building for all students to use. Schedules are posted in each lab. Students may apply for an electronic mail (e-mail) account with the Information Technology Services Department.

Are there kitchens in the residence halls and apartments?

Each floor in Lakeside Housing residence halls has a kitchen equipped with a sink, stove, refrigerator, microwave, ironing board, table and chairs. In addition, there is a kitchen in Blackwell and Poteat. A limited supply of kitchen utensils are available for use through the Residential Life Council (RLC).

Are there dishwashers in the apartments?

Unfortunately, there are no dishwashers in the kitchens.

Back to top 

What meal plans are offered to resident students?

Housing and Residence Life does not coordinate the meal plans at Furman. You can find the answers to your questions on our Dining Services web page.

Back to top

Where are the laundry facilities located?

The washers, dryers and ironing boards are conveniently located throughout the residence halls. Participants must furnish their own detergent. Coins are NOT necessary to operate the machines during the academic year. Laundry costs are included in the housing fee for all resident students. In North Village, laundry rooms are located in the center of each building on the 200 and 300 levels.

Back to top

What happens to my laundry when I leave it in the laundry room?

Items left in the laundry rooms for more than 24 hours are bagged and stored by our custodial staff. If they are not claimed by the end of the term in which it was stored, the items are donated to Goodwill. To claim lost items, please contact the custodian in your building. If you are not sure who is your custodian, please contact Housing and Residence Life at 864.294.2092. Housing and Residence Life is not responsible for items left in the laundry rooms.


Whom would I contact if I am interested in leasing a loft?

For information on leasing a loft, contact Housing and Residence Life at 864.294.2092. To lease a loft, submit your request at Loft Lease Request.  Lofts cannot be used in Blackwell. No other lofts are allowed in campus housing other than the lofts provided by Furman University.


Where do I pick up my mail?

Mail services are located in the Trone Student Center. You will receive your P.O. address in the middle of July.


Does Furman sponsor a recycling program?

Furman University encourages the recycling of paper, aluminum and plastic. In Lakeside Housing, containers for each type of recyclable are provided in the hall kitchens. In the South Housing, container locations will be posted on the halls.


What do I do if I lose my ROOM keys?

Contact Ashley Hudson (Assistant Director of Lakeside Housing), Sarah Tobin (Assistant Director of North Village) or Rick Trethewey (Assistant Director of South Housing) at 294-2092 to order new keys.
Replacement cost:
Lost bedroom key in a residence hall = $50.00
Lost front door key in North Village = $50.00
Lost bedroom key in North Village = $25.00
Lost temporary access card = $10.00

Please note that we cannot order keys until we receive payment.

Back to top


What do I do about roommate conflicts?

Students are encouraged to work out roommate conflicts among themselves. However, Resident Assistants and the Assistant Directors are also a good resource in resolving roommate conflicts.


What do I do if I am locked out of my room?

You can stop by the RA office located in your area of campus. With proper identification, the RA in the office will let you into your room. Since residents are expectied to have their keys with them and lock their doors at all times, a lockout charge of $10.00 will be charged to your student account.


Do I need to bring my own toilet paper?

In an effort to curtail the waste of university funds and to divert such funds to meaningful activities for students, toilet paper is only provided in community bathrooms of the residence halls. Therefore, students in suite-style rooms of Lakeside Housing must provide their own paper products.


What do I do if my neighbors are too loud?

Politely ask your neighbor to make less noise. University quiet hours are Sunday-Thursday (9:00 p.m. to 9:00 a.m.) and Friday-Saturday (11:00 p.m. to 11:00 a.m.). Courtesy hours are in effect at all times. Noise complaints that cannot be resolved by students may be reported to the Resident Assistant or Housing and Residence Life.

Back to top


Where can I store my belongings over the summer?

Because of limited space availability due to summer camps and conferences, Housing and Residence Life does not provide summer storage options to students. However, the Office of Study Away and International Education provides a storage option ONLY for international students. In addition, there are several storage locations close to campus, and some even offer Furman student discounts. Please refer to our Summer Storage link or the Greenville Yellow Pages.


Whom do I call if I have a maintenance concern?

Please submit maintenance requests online at Maintenance Request.

Back to top


What adhesive should I use to stick posters to my walls?

Because many tapes and adhesives peel the paint from the wall or leave a residue, Furman University requires that all students use "Plasti-Tack," which can be purchased in the bookstore.

Back to top


Can I have pets in my room?

The Animals in Campus Housing Policy prohibits pets in campus housing. Only FISH are allowed. 

Back to top

Where can I get a parking permit?

The registration of vehicles and issuance of campus decals is handled by University Police, so you should contact them at 864.294.2111 for more information. Bicycles must also be registered with University Police.

Back to top


What furniture will be in my room when I arrive?

Every double room includes two twin beds, two chest of drawers, and two desks. In residence halls with the new furniture, two wooden chairs will also be provided and must remain in the room. Residence halls with the older furniture will have plastic chairs which can be stored during the year per student request. Every single room includes one twin bed, one chest of drawers, and one desk with one chair.

Back to top


Can I stay in my room through holiday breaks?

Campus housing will officially close once during the year on December 17, 2015 at 10:00 a.m. Housing will reopen on January 9, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. At the end of the year, students, except those participating in some way with commencement, are expected to vacate campus housing within 24 hours after their last exam, with the last date being Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.  Those graduating seniors that will remain for commencement must vacate by 1:00 p.m. Sunday, May 10, 2015. Please keep these dates in mind as you make your travel arrangements in advance.

Back to top


How can I change rooms?

Room changes are only allowed during the fall and spring semesters and are not allowed during May Experience and Summer semesters. Between semesters, you must contact the Assignments Team to make this request. During the fall or spring semesters, room changes can be requested by meeting with the respective Assistant Director who is in charge of your residential living community. Failure to complete a proper room change will result in a $75 fine.

Back to top


Does Furman provide insurance for my belongings?

Since most students bring some expensive items to campus, such as stereos and computers, it is more important than ever before that students and parents check homeowners insurance policies to be sure that the personal items are or can be covered under such policies. The University does not insure that which it does not own and, thus, cannot assume responsibility for damages to the personal belongings of students. When talking to your insurance company, it may be helpful to know that Furman is less than three miles from the Travelers Rest Fire Department. You might also stress that all rooms and hallways are equipped with smoke detectors which connect to University Police.

Back to top

Does my room key provide access to all the residence hall buildings?

Lakeside Housing (Gambrell, Chiles, Haynsworth, Ramsay, Judson, Townes and McBee) is locked 24 hours a day. South Housing (Poteat, Geer, Manly, McGlothlin, and Blackwell) is also locked 24 hours a day. Students may use their Palacard (Furman ID) to gain access to these buildings.

Back to top

What size are the beds in the residence halls?

You should check the dimensions for the residence hall to which you have been assigned. Housing and Residence Life has made arrangements with Residence Hall Linens to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase extra-long sheets and bedding items, as well as other campus-living necessities.  Proceeds from this program go to Housing and Residence Life and are used for programming in the residence halls.

Connect with Admission

Furman University is one of the nation's premier undergraduate liberal arts colleges. We offer outstanding academics, opportunities for a broad range of talented students with a passion for learning, a robust arts program, and NCAA Division I athletics.

Want more information about the admission process at Furman?

Contact us

Once you see our campus, making the right college decision will be so much easier.

Plan a visit

Undergraduate Evening Studies provides adults the opportunity to receive an education from one of the premier liberal arts universities in the nation.

Whether you are starting or continuing your education, or have been away from the classroom for a few months or several years, our program provides many services to assist you with accomplishing your educational and professional goals.

Apply now

Our graduate studies program is designed for the professional educator.

We know the challenges teachers and administrators face every day, and we are committed to helping you become a leader within your school system or district.

Apply now
  • 50th Anniversary of Desegregation at Furman
  • Furman University