We have established a set of well-defined
policies, and procedures that outline our expectations for our residential community. If you have any questions, please contact our office
Rising fifth-year students are the only undergraduates exempt from Furman's four-year residency requirement. They must live off-campus unless they can commit to living at Furman for two semesters, can fill-in for a student who is studying away or on a leave of absence, or can live at The Vinings at Duncan Chapel.
Other students must meet the following criteria to live off-campus:
- Commute to campus by living with your parents or legal guardians.
- Live in a fraternity house with other rising fourth-year students. Each fraternity is allowed to choose a predetermined number of rising fourth-year students to live in their house.
- Get married or plan to be married during the upcoming academic year.
- Have a financial or medical situation that requires off-campus accommodations, which does not include The Vinings at Duncan Chapel.
- Enrolled as a graduate student.
- Not have a scholarship that covers room costs.
If approved, students must reapply for
this exemption to live off-campus again the following year. Visit the forms and applications page to find exemption forms for off-campus living.
want to apply to live off-campus after the designated period of time
must appeal in writing to the Director of Housing and Residence Life
upperclassman Returning to North Village
living in North Village are given the opportunity to retain their
current apartment for the upcoming year if the following conditions are
met prior to the Housing Lottery:
- Names of four eligible students are submitted on the request form by the designated deadline.
- At least two residents currently live in the apartment during the spring semester.
- All four residents must be rising third- or fourth-year students.
- All four residents must participate in the student intentions process by the established deadline.
- No student listed on the request is studying away during the fall semester,
unless the student agrees to pay 75 percent of the housing rate to reserve the assignment.
- The apartment being requested is not the Resident Assistant's apartment.
- None of the students on the request are currently second-year students residing in North Village.
Visit the forms and applications page, and complete your request to return to North Village.
Each year, the Housing and Residence Life Office will have approximately 60-80 students on its waiting list for student housing. Our office will assign rooms to these students in August after we are able to determine which students are not returning the University.
Dealing with an Undesirable Assignment
recognize that students will not always get the assignment they desire during the housing lottery process. Therefore, students may
contact us and request to be placed on the waiting
list for a specific type of housing. Priority is given based on your lottery number and when your name was added to the waiting list. When a space
becomes available, the next student on the list will be offered the
Due to the difference between class size and housing capacity, not
all third-year students and fourth-year students are able to live in
North Village. The students who do not obtain an assignment in North Village must proceed
through the remainder of the housing lottery to get an assignment in a residence hall. These students will also be placed on the North
Village waiting list.
Students who have a vacant space in their room or apartment may be assigned a roommate at any time. Under certain circumstances, students may be required to move into another room so that the needs of students desiring to live together may be accommodated. Students with vacant spaces in their room or apartment may request a specific roommate during designated periods throughout the year to prevent having to change rooms or being assigned a roommate they do not know. Housing and Residence Life will make every effort to notify students in advance if any changes will be taking place concerning their rooming situation. Please be aware, however, that it may be necessary for our office to make last-minute change that may not allow much advance notice.