If you can't find an answer to your question here, our staff can help. Contact us. For parents, we have also created a section where you can find information and tips. Visit Parent Information.
- How do I apply for housing?
- How are assignments and roommates determined?
The Housing and Residence Life Office determines room assignments and roommates based on the information provided in your application. Our office does not guarantee a specific room assignment.
New students will be assigned to one of our first-year housing residence halls. In your housing assignment request form, you'll have the option to rank which residence hall is your top choice. Our computer-generated lottery system will then randomly assign rooms to our freshman class, taking each student's selections into account. As a freshman, you do not have the ability to choose your own roommate. Instead, our office will match you with a roommate based on the information provided in your housing assignment request form.
Returning students have the option to live in upperclassman housing, apartments, or with their Greek Life community. However, room assignments are determined by our computer-generated lottery system, which assigns rooms while taking each student's preferences into account. Priority is based on a student's start year in college. Mutual roommate requests are honored, assuming space is available.
Assignments are made without regard to race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability. Learn more about the room and roommate assignment process.
- How do I pay for my housing?
- Can I cancel my housing?
- Where can I do my laundry?
There are laundry rooms with washers, dryers and ironing boards located in each of our residence halls. The machines do not require coins because laundry costs are included in your housing fee. However, you need to bring your own
- What do I do if I lose my room key or temporary access card?
If you lose your room key, you will have to purchase a replacement. Bedroom keys for our residence halls are $50. For North Village residents, front door keys are $50, and bedroom keys are $25. A temporary access card is $10.
Contact the appropriate individual to order replacements:
- North Village: Sarah Tobin
- South Housing: Rick Trethewey
- Lakeside Housing: Ashley Hudson
- Where can I submit a maintenance request?
Need something fixed in your room? Our facilities staff will receive your request within 24 hours of your submission, and will respond as quickly as possible. When submitting your order, be sure to provide a detailed description of the problem so that our maintenance staff is prepared to help you. Submit a maintenance request.
- Can I keep my room assignment if I'm planning to take a study away trip?
- Is there housing available during holiday breaks?
Furman's residence halls and other facilities are closed and unavailable during holiday breaks. Be sure to make travel and living arrangements in advance so that you're able to leave campus after your final exam each semester.
- Do you provide storage options during the summer break?
The Housing and Residence Life Office is unable to offer storage
options because of summer camps and conferences. However, if you're an international student, the Office of Study Away and International Education
provides some options.
- Does Furman provide renters insurance?
Furman does not provide renters insurance, and does not assume responsibility for the personal belongings of its students. However, we do recommend getting a renters insurance policy to cover your belongings.
- Does Furman provide a shuttle to the airport during Thanksgiving and Winter Break?
The Residence Life Council (RLC) at Furman helps sponsor a shuttle service that will operate at the beginning and end of these two breaks. The cost for each student is $10.00 per trip and the student must show their Furman ID. If you would like to reserve a spot for a specific date and time, please email Cathy Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is not guaranteed if a reservation is not made. The pickup location for the shuttle service is at the Judson Circle and the times are listed below.
To GSP Airport:
- Tuesday, November 22nd: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 5:00 pm
From GSP Airport:
- Wednesday, November 23rd: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 5:00 pm
- Saturday, November 26th: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, and 9:00 pm
- Sunday, November 27th: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, and 9:00 pm
To GSP Airport:
- Tuesday, December 13th: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, December 14th: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, and 5:00 pm
From GSP Airport:
- Thursday, December 15th: 10:00 am - Housing closes at 10:00am
- Saturday, January 7th: 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, and 9:00 pm
- Sunday, January 8th: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm, and 9:00 pm