Some students may have medical conditions that require special diets and/or special care through Dining Services. In order to ensure that each request is
considered in a consistent and appropriate manner, students should
follow the steps listed below.
request a meal plan modification
- Contact Dining Services
Contact Adam Summer in Dining Services via email email@example.com or by phone at 864.294.2617 to request an appointment to discuss your condition and meal plan needs. His office is located in the Dining Hall ground floor, across from the Faculty/Staff Dining Room. This step MUST be completed first in order for your meal plan modification request to be considered.
- Submit a Meal Plan Modification Request
- Submit documentation
Request that your treating professional (physician or therapist) provide the Student Office for Accessibility Resources with documentation of your condition(s). Documentation must be submitted on the treating professional's letterhead and NOT on a prescription pad.
Guidelines for Documentation
Students who wish to request medical exceptions to the meal plan should have their physician or treating professional submit a letter containing the following information:
- Diagnosis & date of onset
- Summary of procedures and laboratory results used to arrive at the diagnosis
- Explanation of why the regular Dining Services menu with self-selection is detrimental to the patient's health
- Description of the special diet/ diets recommended (attach a copy of the diet to the letter, if possible)
- Recommendation regarding whether the student should receive guidance in how to select appropriate food for his/her diet
- Estimate of the length of time this diet is needed
The letter should be on letterhead, dated and signed by the physician. Documentation on prescription pads is not acceptable.
All documentation should be mailed or faxed to:
Student Office for Accessibility Resources
3300 Poinsett Hwy
Greenville, SC 29613
Once all of the documentation has been received, it will be reviewed by the Student Office for Accessibility Resources personnel and a professional with expertise in the area of nutrition and dietary needs. The student will be notified via email regarding the meal plan modification request.
If the request is approved, the Student Office for Accessibility Resources will notify the appropriate Furman staff members to make the necessary changes to the meal plan and if needed, provide a reimbursement for meal plan fees already paid.