Some students may require accommodations through Housing and Residence Life. In order to ensure that each request is considered in a consistent and appropriate manner, students should follow the steps listed below.
REQUEST A HOUSING ACCOMMODATION
- Complete the online Initial Contact Form
- Complete the Consent and Release Form
- Submit documentation
Request that your treating professional (physician or therapist) provide the Student Office for Accessibility Resources with documentation of your condition(s). Documentation must be submitted on the treating professional's letterhead and NOT on a prescription pad. This information may be emailed to SOAR@furman.edu or faxed to 864-294-3044. Please see below for guidelines for appropriate documentation.
GUIDELINES FOR DOCUMENTATION
Students who wish to request a housing accommodation should have their physician or treating professional submit a letter containing the following information:
- Patient's diagnosis/disability
- How long you have known the patient
- Methods of evaluation used in making the diagnosis
- Symptoms and effects of the diagnosis/disability
- Type of housing accommodation being recommended
- Rationale: How will the requested accommodation (s) alleviate the symptoms or effects of the diagnosis/disability?
- The level of need for the requested accommodation and the anticipated consequences of not receiving the requested accommodation
The letter should be on letterhead, dated and signed by the physician. Documentation on prescription pads is not acceptable.
All documentation should be emailed or faxed to:
Student Office for Accessibility Resources
Once the Student Office for Accessibility Resources has received necessary forms and documentation, the information will be reviewed by SOAR personnel and a professional with expertise in the appropriate area of the diagnosis/disability. In some cases, the student may need to meet with SOAR staff to further discuss or clarify the student's needs.
SOAR will notify Housing and Residence Life with a recommendation. Housing and Residence Life staff with notify the student of the decision.