HELP YOUR UNIVERSITY POLICE COMBAT BIKE THEFT ON CAMPUS!
The Furman University Police Department strongly encourages all students to register their bicycles and keep them locked on campus. Bicycle registration is a free service provided by the police department. Registering your bike provides officers with important identifying information in the event your bike is stolen, and also aids officers in returing your bike once it is recovered.
There is no charge for this registration. The permit issued to you must be affixed to the bicycle frame in a visible area (i.e. bar under seat).
Unregistered and/or unsecured bicycles may be impounded for safekeeping. Unclaimed bicycles may be disposed of after 90 days.
Bicycle riders must comply with state laws; SC State Code 56-5-3430 and SC State Code 56-5-3420:
- Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a motor vehicle.
- Shall operate/ride a bicycle as far to the right side of the roadway as practical, exercising due care when passing a standing motor vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.
- Ride in the same direction as motor vehicle traffic.
- Yield to pedestrians
Storage of bicycles
- Bicycles should not to be left in public access areas, entrances and exits to buildings, attached to railings at entrances to facilities, in hallways or in stairwells. Bicycle will be impounded and the lock removed at the owner's expense if they are stored in violation of this policy.
Furman Mall may not be used by bicyclists to make repeating laps.
OTHER SAFETY Rules
Ride on the right side of the road.
Obey traffic signs and signals. Yield to pedestrians.
- Never ride against the flow of traffic or on sidewalks.
Use hand signals for safety and courtesy.
Stay alert; watch for obstacles and other traffic.
Protect your head. Wear a helmet.
Register your bike with the University Police.
If you are not on it, lock it.
Keep receipts. Proof of ownership is required to claim unregistered bicycles.
Maintain it. Make sure your bicycle is functioning properly. Check brakes before riding. Remove any accessories not needed.