Information Technology Services - Dr. Susan Dunnavant, Acting Chief Information Officer
Last Revised: 11/09/2016
Title: Network Account Policy (NetID)
Applicable: Furman University Students, Faculty, Staff, and Affiliates
Contacts: IT Service Center ext. 3277
Background: In the interest of campus network security, and control of virus activity, Information Technology Services requires a secure login and password to access campus technology services. Furman students, faculty, and staff, are each issued a unique username and password to access University technology services. Such services include the campus network, the MyFurman portal, and University-owned computers.
Policy: Furman University faculty, staff, current students, and affiliates may be issued a network account.
Furman University faculty, staff, current students, and affiliates may be issued a network account.
- All requests for employee or affiliate accounts must be processed by Human Resources before accounts can be created. ITS will create employee and affiliate accounts within 48 hours of receiving an approved request from Human Resources.
- Requests for student accounts must be processed by the Registrar’s Office. ITS will create accounts within 48 hours of receiving an approved request from the Registrar’s Office.
- Students who have left or withdrawn from the University will have all their electronic accounts, and data they've stored on University systems, removed from University systems two weeks after the student has left or withdrawn from the university.
- Faculty, staff, and affiliates who leave the University will have all their electronic accounts, and personal data they've stored on University systems, removed immediately.
- Upon retirement, and based on approval of Human Resources, faculty and staff will be given the option to retain their Furman network account.
- University guests are not issued a named network account, but may request a temporary guest account. (For more information on guest accounts see the Guest Account Policy.)
- All special requests must be approved by the Director of Systems and Networks or Chief Information Officer.
- As with any personal account, users must not share their username or password with anyone.
- All users are responsible for all material originating from an account. Any vulgar, inappropriate or harassing material originating from an account could result in the termination of the account, disciplinary action and/or possible criminal charges. For more information on the University’s harassment policy please refer to University policy 094.1 Harassment.