Information Technology Services - Fred Miller, Chief Information Officer
Last Revised: 04/28/15
Title: Network Account Policy (NetID)
Applicable: Furman University Students, Faculty and Staff
Contacts: IT Service Center ext. 3277
Background: In the interest of campus network security, and control of virus activity, Information Technology Services requires a secure login and password to access campus technology services. Furman students, faculty, and staff, are each issued a unique username and password (NetID) to access University technology services. Such services include the campus network, the MyFurman portal, and University-owned computers.
Policy: Furman University faculty, staff, current students, affiliates, and trusteesmay be issued a NetID.
- Furman University faculty, staff, current students and affiliates may be issued a NetID.
- All requests for a NetID must be made at least 48 hours in advance of when the account is needed.
- Students who have left or withdrawn from the University will have their NetID, and data they've stored on University systems, removed from University systems two weeks after the student has left or withdrawn from the university. Faculty and staff who leave the University will have their accounts, and personal data they've stored on University systems, removed from University systems two weeks after their last day of employment.
- University guests are not issued a NetID, but may request a temporary guest account. (For more information on guest accounts see the Guest Account Policy.)
- All special requests must be approved by the Chief Information Officer.
- As with any personal account, users must not share their username or password with anyone.
- All users are responsible for all material originating from an account. Any vulgar, inappropriate or harassing material originating from an account could result in the termination of the account, disciplinary action and/or possible criminal charges. For more information on the University’s harassment policy please refer to University policy 094.1 Harassment.