Information Technology Services – Dr. Susan Dunnavant, Acting Chief Information Officer
Last Revised: 11/09/2016
Title: Records Management Policy
Applicable: Furman University (Students, Staff, Faculty, and Affiliates)
Contacts: IT Service Center ext. 3277
Background: Furman University is required to maintain appropriate data backups to safeguard University information in the event of a physical disaster, or other unforeseen event, which may compromise data stored in Furman University’s information systems. In addition, the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure allows for the discovery of electronically stored information (ESI) if needed during the course of litigation. Because such discovery can include back-up data, as well as production data, Furman University must have a policy which outlines how all ESI will be maintained and stored.
Policy: In order to safeguard University information, and prevent potentially discovered evidence from being destroyed, Furman University will store and maintain electronic information (ESI) in accordance with the requirements of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
ITS will store and maintain backups for the follow categories of ESI. Each category of ESI will be maintained for the length of its specified retention period.
- University Business Data
- Servers which house our administrative systems and faculty and staff department shares are classified as University Business Data. Servers containing this data are backed up nightly. Copies of this data are stored on our local network backup system, and the backup system at our DR site. Both copies will be retained for a period of 365 days. After 365 days this data will be deleted and will not be retrievable.
- University Systems
- Servers which house websites, applications, and databases are classified as University Systems. Servers containing this data are backed up nightly. Copies of this data are stored on our local network backup system, and the backup system at our DR site. Both copies will be retained for a period of 31 days. After 31 days this data will be deleted and will not be retrievable.
- University Email
- Furman University email services are provided by Microsoft’s Office 365. The university is unable to recover emails once the emails have been deleted from an individual’s Office 365 account.
- A detailed list of University servers and their categories can be found in the Information Technology Services Backup & Archival Policies and Architecture document.
- Unless subject to a preservation notice, records will be destroyed at the end of their retention period.
- All special requests for additional or alternate backups must be approved by the Director of Systems and Networks.
- In the event ESI is needed for litigation purposes all backup data stored on the Furman University Network or backups containing pertinent information will be identified based on the backup administrator’s inventory. All relevant information stored on the network or backups will be placed in an alternate location specified by the Director of Systems and Networks. Once the information is no longer needed a destruction certificate will be issued.