|Created by: Dana Trebing on 5/12/2003|
|Category: 1 - Academic Affairs; 50 - Faculty Status|
|Originator: Acad. Adm. & Faculty Status Committee|
|Current File: 151.1|
|Adoption Date: 5/12/2003|
|Reviewed for Currency: 5/12/2003|
|Replaces File: 151.1|
|Date of Origin: 5/10/1976|
|In Archive? No|
Although all dimensions of the professional relationships between a teacher and the University cannot be incorporated in a written document, the basic and formal relationship is stated in an official contract of mutual commitment.
A contract is issued to each faculty appointee and remains mutually binding, except for salary and rank, for the duration of the individual's appointment to the faculty. Any other exceptions will be so indicated on the contract or annual contract renewal letter, which letter is in effect an amendment to the contract. The contract (as amended by the most recent annual contract renewal letter) takes precedence over any other understanding, whether oral or written.
1.The initial faculty contract at Furman is usually for one year.
2. A faculty member may be annually reappointed during a probationary period not to exceed seven years.
3. A faculty member who will not be placed on permanent appointment at the end of the probationary period will be notified at the earliest feasible date. (See Policies and Procedures Manual, Files 157.4 and 158.4 .)
4. An annual contract renewal letter from the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean in the spring of each school year specifies any changes in the faculty member's salary.
5. Faculty members not appointed for a second year will be notified by March 1 of the contract year (September-August). They will be notified by December 15 if they are not to be reappointed for a third year. Faculty with two or more years of service at Furman receive notice of termination at least twelve months before the expiration of appointment.
6. Mutual responsibilities of faculty and administration not stated in the contract or annual contract renewal letter are specified in the current Faculty Handbook (as the same may from time to time be amended.)
7. Facsimiles of the faculty contract and the annual contract renewal letter appear in the Appendix, Exhibits B and C .