International Student Employment Furman

On-campus employment

F-1 and J-1 visa holders are eligible to work without special approval on-campus up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during school holidays. Our Student Employment Office can help you locate an on-campus job opportunity. No special approval is needed for on-campus work within the weekly hours described above.

curricular practical training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization allows F-1 students to gain practical experience in their major field of study prior to graduation. If you would like to enroll in a credit-bearing course for work that is done off-campus, such as a internship, you must seek approval for CPT. Total employment can be up to 20 hours per week during the school year and up to 40 hours per week during school vacations. Approval is contingent upon course enrollment and a written offer of employment.

CPT Resources:

Optional Practical training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorization is designed to provide international students with F-1 visas opportunities for employment in their fields of study before or after graduation. Students maintain F-1 status while on OPT since it is considered part of the program of study. If you gain OPT work authorization, you are eligible to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours per week during holidays without special approval. OPT provides the chance to have an off-campus employment experience related to the field of study.

If you would like to work or intern off-campus, you must attend a mandatory workshop which covers issues related to OPT, typically offered in February. E-mail notification of the workshop dates and times will be sent to you.

To apply for OPT, you must maintain F-1 status for at least nine months and the proposed employment must be related to your field of study. The employment may occur anywhere in the United States.


  • Complete Form I-765 for employment authorization.
  • Be sure to use the following address format on the I-765 application: 
    • U.S. Mailing Address: 3300 Poinsett Intl Ed.
    • Town: Greenville,  State: SC,  ZIP code: 29613
  • Complete form G-1145 to receive notification via e-mail of application.

There is no application deadline for OPT, except that the application must be submitted before the end of your visa program. However, approval can take up to four months, and travel outside of the U.S. after applying for OPT and before receiving the employment authorization card is not advised. Therefore, it is very important to plan ahead and to submit a complete application by the deadline established by our office.


Connect with Admission

Furman University is one of the nation's premier undergraduate liberal arts colleges. We offer outstanding academics, opportunities for a broad range of talented students with a passion for learning, a robust arts program, and NCAA Division I athletics.

Want more information about the admission process at Furman?

Contact us

Once you see our campus, making the right college decision will be so much easier.

Plan a visit

Undergraduate Evening Studies provides adults the opportunity to receive an education from one of the premier liberal arts universities in the nation.

Whether you are starting or continuing your education, or have been away from the classroom for a few months or several years, our program provides many services to assist you with accomplishing your educational and professional goals.

Apply now

Our graduate studies program is designed for the professional educator.

We know the challenges teachers and administrators face every day, and we are committed to helping you become a leader within your school system or district.

Apply now
  • Furman University