If you're worried about fitting in, don't be. We have a way of pulling everyone in, and helping you make friends easily.
Our International Connection Program is one of the ways we'll help adjust to life in the United States. Before your arrival on campus, we'll pair you with a current student from the U.S. who will share their insight about what it's like to study at Furman. You'll get to know each other online over the summer, and when you arrive for orientation, your student liaison will be waiting to meet you.
Your student liaison will help you get to know campus, identify student organizations, and introduce you to Greenville, S.C. Throughout the year, you can expect to share weekly emails and phone calls with your student liaison, as well as monthly meals in the dining hall.
interested in becoming a Liaison?
Becoming a liaison for the International Connection Program is a great way to learn about international issues and new cultures. Throughout the year, you'll be a friend, teacher, and student to an international freshmen. You'll get to know each other through regular get-togethers, fun events, and frequent communication. To participate in the program, you'll be expected to:
- Submit an application by February 27, 2015.
- Attend an interview.
- Attend the mandatory intercultural training on Wednesday, April 8 from 6pm-9pm.
- Communicate with an international student throughout the summer via Facebook, email, or Twitter.
- Move into housing one day before Fall Freshmen Orientation to attend our welcome event.
- Communicate with your assigned student at least once a week during the first month.
- Meet with your student for coffee, tea, lunch in the dining hall at least once a month during the academic year.
- Attend as many of our events as possible throughout the academic year.