Furman University and Greenville Jazz Collective
Summer Jazz Camp
Monday June 26 - Thursday June 29, 2017
A joint program of Furman Music and the non-profit Greenville Jazz Collective
, the camp is a unique experience designed to help high school students of all levels fuel their jazz performance skills (middle school students considered by recommendation). Students will take daily classes in jazz theory, improvisation, and jazz history, and perform in a big band and/or jazz combo. The camp includes an evening faculty recital and a final student concert, both of which are open to the public. Students of all instruments can apply, particularly those who play saxophone, trombone, trumpet, piano, guitar, bass (electric and/or acoustic), and drums.
are available for an additional fee of $30 per 1/2 hour lesson
This is a day camp (no on-campus housing).
- Campus Map.
- Book a hotel. (Transportation not provided.)
- Airport: GSP Greenville-Spartanburg International
Typical Day 8am-6pm
7:45 Arrive and Warm-up
8:00 Camp Meeting
8:30 Big Band Rehearsal / Rhythm section special topics class
10:00 Jazz History / Listening class
11:00 Improvisation Class
12:00 Lunch / free time / lessons
1:30 Combo rehearsal
3:30 Master classes (separated by instrument)
4:30 Big Band rehearsal / Rhythm section special topics class
Closing concert: 4:30pm, Thursday, June 29. Free Admission. Public invited.
The camp director is Dr. Matt Olson,
Director of Jazz Studies and Associate Professor of Saxophone at Furman
University. All instruction at the camp is provided by members of the
Greenville Jazz Collective, a renowned non-profit organization that
promotes jazz education and performance in the Upstate. Through its big
band, original music series, guest artists, camps, school visits, and
festivals, the GJC is the premier jazz organization in Greenville.
HOW TO REGISTER
Registration Open February 15 - April 30. Some sections may fill/close before May 1.
- Commuter Cost: $375
- Optional private lessons: $30 per half hour, limit of 2
- Cards or PayPal: Complete the on-line application hosted on Eventbrite. All card payments are charged a processing fee.
- Check or Money Order: Complete the on-line application. Mail checks to address below, payable to FURMAN UNIVERSITY. Students are not accepted until payment is received.
Furman Jazz Camp
Furman University Music Dept
3300 Poinsett Hwy
Greenville, SC 29613
- $100 non-refundable after March 1.
- $200 non-refundable after April 1.
- May 15: Scholarship payments due to Furman, checks payable to FURMAN UNIVERSITY and mailed to camp address below. Scholarship funds may be used for
private lesson fees.
- NO REFUNDS after June 15.
DISCOUNTS and SCHOLARSHIPS
SIBLING Discount: -$50 per student
To be eligible for the sibling discount, brothers and sisters must be from the same household.
FURMAN Faculty/Staff Discount: -$50 per student
For children of current Furman employees.
Need a bit of financial assistance? The Greenville Jazz Collective would like to help. Contact Brad Jepson for more information
or call 864-214-6810