Church Music Conference
January 21-22, 2016
- Friday condensed into Thursday
- Thursday night recital YES as scheduled
- Friday Jan 21 CANCELLED (Clinicians had to depart earlier than planned due to Fr/Sat forecast of heavy ice/snow)
, Organist / Choirmaster of The Church of the Ascension (Episcopal), New York and Music Director of the acclaimed ensemble Voices of Ascension
, will present sessions on choral techniques and conducting, and will conduct open rehearsals with the Furman Singers, Furman Chamber Choir, and the adult choir of Greenville's Westminster Presbyterian Church.
William Bradley Roberts
, Professor of Church Music at the Virginia Theological Seminary
in Alexandria, VA, and author of "Music and Vital Congregations: A Practical Guide for Clergy," will present sessions on Clergy / Musician Relationships and Hymnody of Our Time.
Furman Professor of Organ Charles Tompkins
will present a recital on the magnificent C.B. Fisk Organ, Opus 121, in the Charles E. Daniel Memorial Chapel. He will be joined by Elizabeth Bishop
, mezzo-soprano plus members of the Furman Singers
and Furman Chamber Choir
. Complimentary tickets available for conference registrants.
includes two days of conference sessions, two organ recital tickets, a conference music packet and a seat at the Friday conference lunch. Please note: no discount offered for single day attendance.
..$20 Discount for Early Birds! Complete your registration before midnight January 7 and pay only $70.
..$50 Discount for Full-time college students REGISTER and Pay Now
PRINT Registration Form.pdf
Credit Cards accepted: Visa, MC, DISC, AmExp.
Make checks payable to FURMAN UNIVERSITY and mail to:
Church Music Conference
Furman Music Department
3300 Poinsett Hwy
Greenville, SC 29613
Thomson Lectures in Church Music
The lecture series was established by an endowment gift from the Thomson Foundations as a memorial to Waddy Randolph Thomson and Pauline Blackwell Thomson. The lectures are the featured events at the annual Furman University Church Music Conference. Each year, distinguished musicians of national prominence present sessions on subjects related to the study and practice of church music.
- Charles Tompkins, conference coordinator, Furman University Organist and organist at First Baptist Church, Greenville
- William Thomas, voice, Coordinator of Church Music studies, director of the Furman Chamber Choir
- Hugh Ferguson Floyd, voice, Coordinator of Choral Activities, director of Furman Singers
- Vivian Hamilton, piano, director of the Furman Chorales, Furman collaborative pianist, and Minister of Music at First Baptist Church Greenville