2018 NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) at Furman University
Spend a summer doing state-of-the-art chemistry research in a dynamic, undergraduate-centered environment. The Furman University Department of Chemistry invites student/faculty teams to spend ten weeks discovering the joys and challenges of scientific discovery. Bring your own project or collaborate with one of our research teams. Information about ongoing research projects, details of the program and an application form can be found in the links below.
Please review descriptions of ongoing research projects being conducted by our faculty with their research students:
- Karen Buchmueller (available January 22, 2018)
- Brian Goess (available January 22, 2018)
- Tim Hanks (available January 22, 2018)
- Lon Knight (available January 22, 2018)
- Nick Kuklinski (available January 22, 2018)
- Marion Martin (available January 22, 2018)
- Anita Nag (available January 22, 2018)
- George Shields and Berhane Temelso (available January 22, 2018)
- Jeff Petty (available January 22, 2018)
- Greg Springsteen (available January 22, 2018)
- Paul Wagenknecht (available January 22, 2018)
- John and Sandy Wheeler (available January 22, 2018)
: Learn about chemistry, AND learn to be a chemist! The Furman REU program is designed for students to work in a dynamic research environment during an intensive ten-week summer experience and to be able to continue this work into the academic year with your favorite instructor. Students of under-represented minority groups are especially encouraged to participate. Participating students must be:
- Citizens or permanent residents of the United States;
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate chemistry program (and plan to be enrolled during fall term of 2018).
: We will provide you with a fellowship, laboratory space, funding for supplies and congenial colleagues who will renew your excitement in science. We invite you and a student to come and explore your own research ideas or collaborate with our research groups.
Applications are accepted ONLY from TEAMS composed of faculty and student(s)
. Students may NOT apply individually to the program.
|For information about the Furman REU program, please download our brochure (PDF):
|Visiting research teams must submit applications (DOCX) by March 5, 2018:
Please complete the application on-screen and then print to add signatures. It will be much appreciated if the completed applications are scanned and emailed to Karen Buchmueller
. (Additional materials must be Word or PDF files.)
The program will run May 14 through July 20 (ten weeks)
. Students will receive a fellowship of $5,000 and a $500 housing/transportation allowance. Faculty are eligible for a fellowship of up to $8,000, as well as support for supplies. Prospective teams should contact the program directors for more information:
The Furman Chemistry REU site is funded through a grant from the National Science Foundation