Katherine Palmer Kaup's research focuses on ethnic minorities and rule of law developments in China. She is the author of "Creating the Zhuang: Ethnic Politics in China," several articles and chapters on ethnic minorities, and editor and contributor to the textbook, "Understanding Contemporary Asia." She won the China Quarterly Gordon White Award in 2002 for her article "Regionalism Versus Ethnicnationalism in the People's Republic of China." She is currently on sabbatical and serving as visiting scholar at Yunnan Nationalities University where she is researching rule of law developments in China's border regions. She has served as a visiting scholar at both the Yunnan Nationalities Institute and the Guangxi Ethnic Affairs Commission.
In 2005, Kaup served as special adviser for Minority Nationalities Affairs at the Congressional-Executive Commission on China and was a 2008-2011 National Committee on United States-China Relations Public Intellectuals Fellow. She regularly leads groups to China, including Congressional staff delegations, museum and alumni tours, and student groups, and has served as an expert witness for a Congressional Staff Roundtable on human rights in Xinjiang. She has served as program director and principal investigator for the U.S. State Department-funded Furman-Suzhou Intensive Summer Institute and for Furman's federally-funded Startalk Chinese Camp.
Experience in Asia
- Princeton-in-Asia Fellow, Beijing 1990-91; IUP Chinese Language Studies in Taipei 1992-93
- Visiting Scholar at the Yunnan Nationalities University 1995, 1999, 2012-13
- Visiting Scholar at Guangxi Ethnic Affairs Commission 1995, 1999
- Academic Travel Abroad Program Director for China, Japan, and Vietnam 1996-7
- American Museum of Natural History Study Leader 1998; Fall in China Director at East China Normal University 1999, 2001
- Fall in China Director at Soochow University 2009; Summer China Experience Director 2008, 2012
- China In Depth Study Leader 2010; Congressional Staff Delegation Scholar Escort 2008
- National Committee on United States-China Relations Public Intellectuals Fellow Tour 2009; Young Scholars and Experts Taiwan Tour Hosted by the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs 2010
- Co-director India Study Away Program 2011.