Our department offers a broad interdisciplinary major in Asian Studies and more focused studies with majors in Chinese Studies and Japanese Studies.
Students majoring in Asian Studies must complete ten courses, including:
- at least three courses in a single Asian language at Furman or three non-language Asian Studies courses,
- at least five other foundations or advanced courses from two or more academic disciplines, and
The foundations or advanced courses contributing to the major requirements may not all focus on a single country.
Students majoring in Chinese Studies must complete at least eight courses, including:
- at least three Chinese language courses beyond CHN-201,
- at least four more courses focusing on China which include: ANT-210, AST-470, CHN-220, 225, 230, 235, 245, 246, 320, ECN-251, HST-165, 166, 268, 350, PHL-240, 241, PSC-226, 243 or a first year seminar with a topical focus on China, and
Two courses contributing to the major requirements must have a prefix other than CHN.
Students majoring in Japanese Studies must complete at least eight courses, including:
- at least three Japanese language courses beyond JPN-201,
- at least four more courses focusing on Japan which include: ANT-204, 205, AST-470, HST-161, 162, 262, JPN-225, 235, 245, PHL-220, 250, or a first year seminar with a topical focus on Japan, and
Two courses contributing to the major requirements must have a prefix other than JPN.