The minor provides a methodology for exploring the ways gender shapes knowledge throughout the academy and society. As such, it is an important branch of interdisciplinary knowledge often ignored in conventional curricula. Courses in women's, gender, and sexuality studies examine not only women in specific contexts from multiple disciplinary perspectives, but also the various ways in which gender and sexuality shape human experience.
To satisfy the requirements for the minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, the student must complete:
- WGS-230 or WGS-250, and
- at least four courses in at least three different disciplines from the list below.
One first year seminar may contribute to the minor when the topic has been deemed appropriate by the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality oversight committee. A seminar applied to minor requirements will not be considered for disciplinary distribution purposes.
Courses equivalent to Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality offerings completed elsewhere and independent study on an appropriate topic may contribute to the minor no more than once each and must be approved by the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality oversight committee.
On occasion, special topics courses are offered that also satisfy the requirements for the minor.
- AST-255 Poverty, Gender & Development in India
- ART-252 Women and the Arts
- COM-412 International Women’s Rhetoric
- COM-435 Race, Gender, Class in the Media
- ECN-233 Economics of Gender
- ENG-324 Women of Restoration Theater
- ENG-374 Stardom and Identity
- ENG-405 Studies in Gothic Literature
- ENG-452 Literary Feminism
- ENG-473 Gender in South Asian Literature and Film
- FYS-1134 A Woman’s Place: Balancing Work and Family
- FYS-1144 Critical Identities Studies
- FYS-1172 Queer Economics
- FYS-1192 Sex in America 1950-1990
- FYW-1148 Southern Women: Black and White
- FYW-1159 Veils and Turbans: Whose Modernity is it Anyway?
- HST-215 Women and Gender in European History
- HST-231 History of Women in America
- HST-256 Gender History of South Asia
- HST-309 European Women, War and Resistance
- PHL-312 Philosophy of Gender
- PSC-212 Women and Politics
- REL-317 Feminist Biblical Interpretation
- REL-323 Women, Gender, Islam
- REL-325 Women and Power in Hinduism
- REL-344 Black Liberation and Womanist Theology
- REL-360 Women and Religion in the West
- REL-363 Religion and Sexuality
- SOC-232 Sociology of Contemporary Families
- SOC-242 Sociology of Gender
- SPN-445 Latin American Women’s Literature
- SPN-460A Readings in Spanish American Literature