The links below will direct you to our growing in-house database of
sample resources for First-Year Seminar instructors. All of the
documents were created by Furman faculty for their FYS or FYW courses.
Feel free to use and modify these resources as will most benefit your
needs. Please contact Jane Love in CTL to discuss revising or planning your First-Year Seminar.
- FYS Teaching Guide 2015-2016 (Includes resources and support for designing, teaching, assessing, and revising FYS/W courses.)
- Assignments (Includes Introductory, Process-Oriented, Argumentative, and Research-Based assignments)
- Syllabi (Includes examples with complete course policies, goals, and schedules for FYS & FYW seminars)
- Guidelines for Peer Review, Workshops, and Commenting (Includes explanatory handouts & student worksheets)
- Other Useful Information (Includes documents on commenting, grading, argumentation, and teaching writing, in addition to some links for your students)
- The First-Year Seminar Reference Series (Includes volumes on designing, teaching, peer review, and assessment in your First-Year seminar)