Built in 1967, refurbished in 2006
Blackwell is named for the 8th Furman president who took office on February 1, 1965, Gordon Williams Blackwell. He graduated from Furman and went on to receive a Masters from UNC and a Masters and Ph.D. from Harvard. Dr. Blackwell taught at Furman, UNC, and was president of Florida State before being recruited back to his alma mater. While he was president, the Watkins Student Center (now University Center), Daniel Music Building, science building and the PAC were all built. The bell tower replication was placed at the lake and the three term academic calendar was established.
"When I think of freshman year and Furman, I think of Blackwell, and how awesomely close I was with my hall, and the majority of the building, which is unheard of elsewhere. Blackwell also has this beautiful Shutter Island sound whenever you swipe into the back door- trust me, no other door has such a distinct welcome!"
"Although upon first glance, Blackwell may seem small, it is an incredibly efficient use of space and an unrivaled living experience. As only those who have lived there know, Blackwell allows for a close hall community where wonderful friendships are formed!"
-Mary Grace '13
"Blackwell is incredible because you get to know everyone else around you so well because doors are always open! Plus, E-Field is your front lawn and there is nothing better! My two years there (yeah, I went back) were my favorite at Furman."
Blackwell Base | Blackwell 100 | Blackwell 200
*Diagrams in the floor layouts are not to scale.
Singles: 10' x 12' (total room size)
8' x 7' (actual floor space)
Doubles: 12' x 14' (total room size)
7'6"x 14 (actual floor space)
Singles: 3' x 3'
Doubles: 3' x 3' (2)
4' wide x 6'3 high
300 level: 4' wide x 5' high
Desk tops: 22" x 43"
Mattress: 36" x 80" (extra long twin)
Dresser top: 58" x 23 5/8"
Closet shelf: 12" x 36"
Storage height under bottom bed: 10"
There is a hall bath equipped with private showers and dressing areas.
- 1 set of bunk beds
- 2 built-in desks
- 2 desk chairs (available upon request)
- 1 built in dresser with mirror (6 drawers per student)
- 2 closets Venetian blinds
- Because of room design, lofts CANNOT be used in this building
- Built in furnishings provide extra storage space
- There is storage over closet area.
- Each desk has three drawers, three shelves over the desk, plus storage above shelves
- Each room is equipped with a desk light, a light over the dresser mirror, and an overhead light
- Volleyball and basketball courts, and large playing field located on west side of Hall
- Large open-air balcony located at middle of each floor
- Each room is equipped with a Microfridge (combination refrigerator/freezer/microwave unit)