Policies and Procedures
Some students may have medical conditions that require special diets and/or special care through Dining Services. Students should first discuss their needs with the Director of Dining Services. When
unable to establish suitable accommodations with Dining Services,
students may request exceptions to the meal plan through Disability
Services. In order to ensure that each request is
considered in a consistent and appropriate manner, students should
follow the guidelines listed below.
Guidelines for Documentation
Students who wish to request medical exceptions to the meal plan should have their physician or treating professional submit a letter containing the following information:
- a current statement of the diagnosis and date of onset
- a summary of the procedures and laboratory results used to arrive at the diagnosis
- explanation why the regular menu with self-selection is detrimental to the student's health
- list the diet/diets recommended for the student
- indicate if the student should receive guidance in how to select food appropriate for his/her diet
- an estimate of the length of time that this treatment will be necessary
The letter should be on letterhead, dated and signed by the physician. Documentation on prescription pads is not acceptable.
When the documentation is received it will be reviewed by a registered dietitian in consultation with a physician as necessary. Students will be notified of the decision as soon as possible.
Steps to request a meal plan modification with necessary form
All documentation should be sent to:
3300 Poinsett Highway
Greenville, SC 29613